Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Revisionist History

I did up a big long post about yesterday's ride, how it reflected on me, the world of training, anger management, fatigue, etc., etc. but on rereading it I realized it was just a flowery account of a temper tantrum. Despite my stunning use of vocabulary (ubiquitous & epiphany!), the fact that I had a hissy fit over a lost piece of my bike computer (replacable for $26) really isn't that interesting. So the original post is gone.

What is interesting, however, is that last night was my first ride on my newly refitted bike. I spent the weekend regaling my (patient and long-suffering) non-tri friends with tales of the bike fit, gushed about my bike even looking faster, laughed about bike shops being p.o.'d about my request for 36cm handlebars, explained angles 1, 2 and 3 and was generally really annoying. My friends are very good people!

After having talked about the machine all weekend, last night I finally got on the bike and rode.

My seat felt way too high to start with but, just as Larry said, I adjusted pretty quickly. I didn't notice my pedal stroke feeling easier but we'll see how I feel after tonight's time trial and this weekend's longer ride. The lower handlebars are going to take a bit of getting used to, I felt some tension across my shoulders but I'm hoping I'll adjust quickly, however the tri bars felt way better than my old ones. I didn't notice better handling (from the readjusted stem) but I think not noticing handling at all might be a good thing.

Sadly my hissy fit did distract me a bit, but all in all it was a good ride and I'm happy with the fit. Looking forward to tonight's time trial!

No comments: