Thursday, January 17, 2008

Less Kvetching

Okay, first off let me say I really like the word “kvetch”, it’s just fun to say. I think I need to learn Yiddish as it would be a fun language.

“Kvetch” may sound cool but kvetching really isn’t something I want to be doing. I do do it though. A lot. In fact I frequently complain to myself (and probably others) about how much I complain.

This awareness and the, admittedly low level, desire to stop has been wafting around in the back of my head for a while but I’ve never actually done anything about it. Maybe I figured it would be easy to stop when I finally really decided to get around to it

Last Sunday I was watching CBC’s Sunday Report and they did a story on “A World Without Complaints”, a simple idea started by a US church. Itwas initially intended as a Sunday lecture for the congregation but has morphed into a world-wide phenomenon. The idea was to get people to stop complaining by wearing a bracelet (purple ones similar to the Livestrong bracelets) and switching it from wrist to wrist any time they catch themselves. The goal is to go 21 days straight without a complaint.

It’s a simple idea but, apparently, a hard thing to achieve.

I’m generally up for a challenge and this is something I do want to achieve so I figured I’d try this whole concept out. I picked up the book, grabbed a rubber band and decided to get going. The book isn’t that great (excuse me while I switch the rubber band from right to left) but elaborates on the news story to fill in the holes and to let me know I’m up for a big challenge. If it took a minister 4 months to do it this may take a heathen like me a while!

So far I’m on day two. Yesterday by this time I had switched the band about 20 times, then I stopped counting. I’ve done less today but I’ve also talked to less people. I think I’m going to aim low to start, one complaint free day before I gun for the whole 21.

I’ll keep you posted as to my progress.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what is the difference between a complaint and constructive criticism?

Alison said...

Complaint: "I complain too much!"

Constructive Criticism: "I complain a lot, I'm going to find a way to stop."