Thursday, January 15, 2009

Getting back into the swing

This week will be my first full week of workouts. I still have the post-flu cough but otherwise feel mostly normal.

Masters has been good but, annoyingly, everyone who signed up is showing up so the lanes are a bit crowded. I'm sure it will thin out in February

On Monday we worked on recovery - Paul said I need to get my elbows higher, which meshes with Marie on Sunday telling me I'm swimming "flat." Fixing one should fix the other. Yesterday was working on the catch, specifically the start of the catch. Wonder if the next swim will be pull finish day?

On Monday I got on my trainer for an easy 45min spin. Of course this would be the one rare evening when my roommate shows up, I was fairly antisocial as my trainer is pretty loud. As always, the last five minutes seemed to drag forever.

Last night I decided I didn't want to deal with going to the club spin (involves signing out a Co-op car, possibly digging it out of a snow bank, loading and unloading and getting to bed late. Yes I'm a wimp!) so I spun at home. Alan gave me a crazy workout that the other club coach had kiboshed for last week's club spin. I knew I wouldn't get to the end but it seemed like an interesting challenge and, equally important, would be simple to figure out. Here it is in all its glory:

  • 15 sec single leg change sides 15 sec other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 30 sec single leg change sides 30 sec other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 45 sec single leg change sides 45 sec other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 60 sec single leg change sides 60 sec other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 75 sec single leg change sides 75 sec other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 90 sec single leg change sides 90 sec other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 120 sec single leg change sides 120 sec other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 2:15 min single leg change sides 2:15 min other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 2:30 min single leg change sides 2:30 min other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 2:45 min single leg change sides 2:45 min other leg 30 sec easy·
  • 3:00 min single leg change sides 3:00 min other leg 30 sec easy

I was okay up to 75 seconds then the wheels started to fall off (figuratively). I tried for 90 and failed epically. Knowing that continuing would be a waste of time I decided to start from the beginning again and do three repeats of the 15s to 60s build. Alan says he wants me to be able to do a smooth 3 min OLD by September so I guess I'll be pulling out this workout again. Actually, I think would be a good benchmark and worth doing once a month or so.

I join the club for the run tonight, I have to remember to take is slow, slow, slow, then tomorrow morning will either be core or an easy long swim in the am and a movie in the pm. Maybe a even dreadmill run before the movie?

No comments: