Saturday, January 03, 2009

Start of the new year

I had the best of intentions to start 2009 with a bang but so far it's been more of a wheeze. Plus some sniffles and a whole lot of coughing.

The cold I had after Christmas morphed into a minor flu and now I'm dealing with the post-flu hacking cough and stealth fatigue. I call it stealth fatigue because I feel awesome, make plans to do all sorts of stuff then taking a shower or doing the dishes wipes me out and I have to take refuge on the couch to recover. I'm bored of reading, bored of watching TV, bored of surfing the web ... I want to work out darn it!!

Because of this I'm not making major plans or resolutions for 2009 as it will just frustrate me. I'm going to take it easy and get back into working out without making myself sick again, then I'll think about the next steps.

So, nothing on the training front yet but I have found a recipe that, if it tastes as good as it looks, may be my 2009 recovery food. Carbs and protein marinated in soy sauce and lime - how perfect is that!

Asian Noodle Salad
(from PBS's Everday Cooking)

Serves 2 Prep time: 15 minutes Total time: 15 minutes

ingredients

8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
6 ounces soba noodles
6 ounces tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 TB fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 scallions, minced

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook 8 ounces trimmed green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a colander. In same pot, cook 6 ounces soba noodles according to package instructions; drain well (do not rinse).

Meanwhile, cut 6 ounces firm silken tofu into 1/2 inch cubes; drain on paper towels. Place in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil. Pour half the dressing over tofu; toss gently to coat.

In a large bowl, toss remaining dressing with noodles, green beans, and 2 minced scallions. Sprinkle tofu on top. Let cool.

No comments: