Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Instead of the Gold Coast, how about Calgary??

My coach responded to my post "Reflections on 2008" and suggested if I want to focus on the half IM distance that I race the inaugural Calgary 70.3 triathlon in August and try to qualify for the 70.3 World Championships in Clearwater.

My first thought was that I don't really want to go to Clearwater, swiftly followed by the realization that I'm unlikely to qualify. (Don't give me grief for low self-esteem, I'm improving but being in the top 5 of my age group in a big race isn't likely to happen any time soon!)

Then I started thinking that I haven't visited my cousins and Aunt and Uncle in a very, very long time. And I have a number of friends I'd really like to see. And it would be cool to take some time to hike in and around Canmore and Banff. And ...

Where there were only a few aspects (one of whom is moving to Germany) of going to ITU Worlds on the Gold Coast that interested me, I suddenly kept coming up with reasons why I wanted to go to Calgary. Heck, I could even see if one or both of the parental units wanted to make use of the WJ travel agent companion fares and come along.

Now that I have a goal I'm excited about I'm keen to start planning, and training, for 2009. Definitely feels good to have a plan!

No comments: