Monday, December 15, 2008

Reflections on '08

I found this on Slowtwitch and decided it was worth doing. I'd love to see your answers too!

What one word describes your 2008 season? Does it match what you said last December in anticipation of this year?
Uninspiring?

That's not really the word I'm looking for but there were a lot of frustrations and more low points than in years previous. My perspective may be coloured by the fact that I'm recovering from an excessive weekend (excessive food and drink that is) and a slow swim time trial this morning and am not feeling particularly cheery but I have trouble thinking of major high points to my season.

What I was anticipating in 2007 was a fastest year ever, which I did, but I wanted that especially on the run, which didn't work out so well. I had very few races where I came away with the high I did in my first three years, but then I didn't do any new distances or different types of racing.

What one word comes to mind when you think about your 2009 season?
Uncertain.

I've decided against ITU Worlds so now have to come up with a new goal. I'm thinking about maybe the Osoyoos half iron as it sounds like fun and it's one I've wanted to do for several years. And I could even qualify for IMC (the roll down apparently goes way, way down!).

I need to find a goal that excites me to give me the impetus to train. Right now I'm feeling rudderless and that isn't really helping with getting me out the door in the cold and wet.

Did you race any new distance this year or try any new type of racing or sport?
No. Might be an idea for '09 to keep things interesting and shake things up a bit.

What was your greatest thrill or joy this year from training or racing?
Hard to say. I was very happy, after I had some time to decompress from the race, with setting a new PR at Kelowna but I didn't feel quite the same level of accomplishment as I had in past years.

What was your biggest disappointment this year from training or racing?
My run at Kelowna. Actually, my running in general but Kelowna in particular. I made lots of speed gains in training but that didn't seem to translate to race performance. That said, Kelowna had tough conditions and I beat myself up unnecessarily (discussed here in detail in August/September).

What was your favorite race in 2008?
Wildflower. I think it was the epic road trip and the fun of the training camp, not so much the race itself. One big upside of not going to Australia next year is that Wildflower becomes totally doable and financially reasonable.

No comments: