Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Things that make me happy (a slightly random, fairly silly and thoroughly incomplete list)

Cherry trees laden with blossoms make me ridiculously happy, magnolia trees in bloom even more so (which is odd as they really aren't my kind of flower). Yesterday I was so thrilled with the trees and the weather and life in general that I started thinking of other things that make me happy and things got a little out of control.


So, without further ado, here is my list of:
Things That Make Me Happy (a slightly random, somewhat silly and thoroughly incomplete list):

  • Flowers
  • Trees
  • Trees with flowers
  • Vancouer streets lined with cherry trees in bloom, with the blossoms so thick it looks like someone gave Amy a triple espresso and let her loose with a truckload of pink silly string
  • Magnolia flowers - especialy the deep pink ones and the ones as big as your head
  • The mental calm I get from easy slow runs where I'm relaxed, my form is good, my mind is clear and running feels almost effortless
  • Billy Holiday's music
  • Running while listening to Billy Holiday's music
  • Running by the ocean
  • Running in the morning or on cold days when there is almost no one around and you feel a secret comraderie with the few others who are out braving the early hour or low temperature
  • Did I mention running?
  • Being fit
  • Seeing the full moon in the daytime
  • Rainbows
  • Strangers looking at me like I'm a nut when I point out rainbows to them
  • Having a crazy training schedule and big goals to work towards
  • How good food tastes after a hard workout
  • Having a whole lot of friends with similar interests
  • Having friends with totally different interests
  • The quiet feeling of accomplishment that comes from having achieved something pretty cool
  • Sunny Vancouver days after a months of grey skies and rain
  • Cool spring days where, despite the chill, you can feel summer just waiting around the corner and you know you should savour the cold breeze as you'll be aching for it when the weather heats up
  • Thinking up with a list of things that make me happy
  • Having difficulty finishing the list because I keep thinking of new things to add
  • Reading good books
  • Having a cool roomate who lends me books (and who lets me read the one he's currently on because he only reads it on the bus whereas I'll plant myself on the coach for 4 hour binges and likely finish it in one or two sittings)
  • The serenity that comes from having a whole lot of little things go right in small ways

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to find the best place to snark, and I figured your friends would be a good place to start. Unfortunately, most of them are my friends too. Darn.