Saturday, February 24, 2007

Back At It

So last weekend was fantastic: I had a great ride on Saturday and pushed myself 'til I was totally pooped, on Sunday a couple of things really clicked in the pool and I put everything I had left into the run. When I got home after that I rebounded and had tons of energy, got all my laundry done, cleaned the house and generally got things accomplished.

Then Monday I woke up not feeling so hot. I missed half a day of work on Monday, a whole day on Tuesday, another half day on Wednesday and didn't make any workouts.

Finally by Thursday I was feeling better and made it out to the track workout. We were doing 5-8 400m pieces at pace. I wasn't sure how I'd feel but I managed 5 and only got a little dizzy. Not my fastest times (2:14, 2:14, 2:02, 2:03, 2:02) but not bad all things considered.

After five days recuperating I was excited to ride outside today. Probably wasn't the smartest idea to ride for 2.5 hours in the pouring rain when it's 2 degrees outside. Also didn't help that I wore the wrong gloves (it was snowing first thing the morning, you'd think I'd have clued in that it would be cold). After 1.5 hours I had difficulty using my brakes as I lost feeling in my fingers, I had to check when I was changing gears as I couldn't tell which lever I pushing. The last half hour was agony as my hands hurt and all I wanted to do was go home and warm up.

The worst part of the day, however, was at the end of the ride. Trying to find keys that were at the bottom of a zippered pocket on the back of my bike jacket when my fingers were completely numb was a challenge. I couldn't feel the zipper pull nor could I pull it down, I finally had to take the jacket off (involving a manipulating a different zipper), use my teeth to help with the zipper and fumble through for my keys. Gotta wonder what the neighbours thought! I got into the house successfully but my first two tries to get my helmet off failed so I then tried to get my bike shoes off. At one point I was sitting on my floor, still wearing my helmet and left bike shoe, seriously debating finding a neighbour to help. "Hi, you don't know me but could I ask for some assistance ..."

I decided today it was acceptable to skip the post ride run and core workout!

No comments: